Translate

Thursday, February 1, 2024

To Tanzania and an unexpected Reception

 



I departed Sydney Saturday evening 27 January 2024 ona Malaysia Airlines flight to Kuala Lumpur where there was a six hour layover. I am actually booked on Oman Air which is $1,000 saving on booking with QANTAS, Emirates and Qatar which involve only one stopover. Being retired I have plenty of time as opposed to money so a 48 hour journey did not phase me.

From KL it was a seven hour flight to Muscat in Oman where the layover was ten hours. I was able to use a lounge twice which had a massage chair for my back which by this time had made both flights uncomfortable. I have found using a lounge, eating there and getting on a plane fairly relaxed means the flight is not interupted with eating and sleep can be the focus. Oman is a dry airport and no alcohol is available in lounges. A sign  stated that it was against the law for Muslims to purchase alcohol which was available for purchase in bulk in the duty free stores.

From Muscat to Dar Es Salaam was a relatively short five and a half hour flight seated next to a young mother nursing a baby. I appear to have had a four hour sleep on this journey so it was relatively peaceful and quick. Arriving in Dar at 3am was something new. Two flights arrived simultaneously, the other from Ethiopia carrying the Tanzanian national soccer team who competed in the Africa Cup of Nations in Abuja (Nigeria). Two draws and two losses in the group stages resulted in an early departure. Despite this there was a huge crowd outside the airport to greet them.

I remained in the arrivals lounge till 7.30am then walked to my domestic flight in what till 2020 was the international terminal. Met an Englishman who travels a few times a year to assist the churc not just in Mara but other areas as well. 

I arrived in Mwanza before midday and had decided to stay the night rather than adding the four hour bus journey after flying for two days. I had booked into the Anglican Guesthouse and on booking was asked if I would like transport from the airport as the bishop wanted to catch up with me. The guesthouse at 20,000TZS ($13) is basic but all that is required. The lack of hot water is tolerable and I was able to shower with what is really unheated water. It is manageable.

From there to a meeting with the bishop and whist waiting meeting with his General Secretary. Word about the strategic plan in Mara has gotten out and I found myself being asked if that was something I could do for this diocese. From there I visited a school and the site of a future church.

Dinner at 4pm and I had fallen asleep at the table waiting for my order. A long sleep on my first night, early bus ride to Musoma and a line of people waiting to greet me on arrival at the cathedral singing a song which had interesting lyrics - video below







No comments:

Post a Comment

HTML

Tanzanian Economic Development 2014-2024 (2)

WATER Water is life as they say and without it you cannot live. Surrounded as the area is by Lake Victoria, the largest lake in Africa and ...