Translate

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

More Garden Visits

This woman was 3kms from home and does this everyday on foot.
This 10yo and her mother were 2.5kms from home when I picked them up. The 10yo was quite accomplished in carrying a load

Looking very please with themselves. This trip saved them a morning

This woman harvested chillies which are drying out.Last year she estimated she made R1000 ($160A) by growing chilles

The woman on the right is 91 b1918

What do you find walking dow a country road in Dukusza? What else but a band of Zulu singers and dancers


This is hard work. After pumping water the garden was over 50m walk


In their community garden which feeds destiture people and orphans


Just a photo I thought but I ended up giving these ladies a lift and learning a bit about how they got fuel for cooking







The cabbages were planted in January

Friday – started agenda and PP presentation for Business Planning workshop Saturday. Went out with Mamsy to two gardens.En route saw women carrying wood and stopped for a photo. Ended up giving them a lift of 2.5km and 3kms for the 66yo who had the biggest pile. There was a 10yo with the first woman who had her own pile.

The first a community garden which was operating at Dukuza. This was a large garden with a large cabbage section. I am guessing the garden was 20m x 10m in size and would have required a lot of work. Three women greeted us and were obviously expecting us.

The man working in the garden told me he was 66yo. Apart from cabbages there were some spinach and tomatoes. While there was a pump about 50m away I was told this was too difficult to use and so a community pump was used. We walked across the road to where land has been set aside for a new community garden which will be huge. This is being promoted by the Social Development Council and funding is required for fencing which will be costly. The existing garden was established in January which surprised me when looking at how advanced the cabbages were. This garden is supplying a soup kitchen for destitute families and orphans in the area. Food is in short supply and the tripling of food costs in the last twelve months has motivated the establishment of this garden. Talking to this fellow he said something quoteable = “we are dying like flies out here!” The impact of AIDS

The next garden was within three kms of where we were however on the way Mamsy pointed out Zulu Culture – about a dozen girls an women dressed in Zulu dress carrying a drum walking down the road towards the school A photo opportunity for a tourist! The women obliged by removing their smocks revealing the full colours of their outfits.

On arrival at the next house which was off a track with a woman carrying a box on her head, she on seeing us turned around and I followed her in to where the houses were. On arriving a little old woman who I was to learn was 91 (b1918 she told me) was almost doing cartwheels on seeing us arrive. She had a huge grin and on getting out gave Mamsy and I a huge hug and then kept slapping her hands together, smiling and laughing. There were three houses and the main house was larger than the other two. The garden surprisingly was bigger than the community garden I had just visited but not all planted out. It had cabbage, and lots of chillies which were harvested and sold. There was a metal sheet which had cut chillies drying and I tasted a seed which was as hot as any chilly I have tried. The seeds are then crushed to form a powder. I was offered to small bags and paid R10 for them which brought huge smiles but I had to say no to the huge pumpkin being offered. Outside this garden in what appeared just field was a long cleared area about 1.5m wide and 20m long planted out with potato. Around the house there was also millies (maize) growing.

On returning to the house area I peered over a stable door which was an entry into the house when I felt a nip on my ankles and then four dogs howling fiercely at me which scared me more than the bite. Initially the bite looked as though there was no damage but eventually a small amount of blood trickled out on both sides of my right ankle. The women were apologetic saying sorry sorry repeatedly. I told them not to worry wondering in my mind if I had been immunised against rabies. We concluded our meeting by going into the house while the women sang a song, a prayer was said and we were off. On asking Mamnsy about the reception I was told I was the first white person to visit this woman in her home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

HTML

Tanzanian Economic Development 2014-2024 (2)

WATER Water is life as they say and without it you cannot live. Surrounded as the area is by Lake Victoria, the largest lake in Africa and ...