Translate

Saturday, February 7, 2009

The end of week 1

Saturday, 7 February 2009
Yesterday was an office day. I decided to start on the OADGS application which is the prime project I have to complete while I am here. After a week I have collected a lot of information from Philakahle about projects and the AAF funding over the last four or five years.

Before I started this however the daily staff devotions had a video done for Canada which featured Sibongesini who died. So staff were able to view this in the context of his death earlier this week and it gave me an indication of who he was. Then to the bank to get some cash to pay for my accommodation. I can’t remember the last time I queued for an hour only to be told I could not use my debit card to withdraw cash over the counter. This was after the staff had phoned Joburg. Went to the ATM and had to make three withdrawals (each incurs a fee with my bank) as the maximum withdrawal is R2000 to get the required amount.

The rest of the day was in the office poring over documents, and starting to type up the 2009 application between answering the phone as staff were involved in a series of meetings. Home at 4.30pm. Saw Thembi who works on the CST down town and spoke to her about her weekend. Spoke to my friend Trevor Smith who is still in Joburg. He was asking lots of questions about my impressions after a week and about Bergville. Dinner tonight was with Michael (an Aussie) and his wife Zosia (a Canadian) who will have been here six months when they leave in April.

The weekend is full – a funeral Saturday morning of Mam Dube’s (she is a Philakahle Board member) niece. A poikie ( check spelling) which is an Afrikaaners cook off from what I understand and a charity fundraiser.

No comments:

Post a Comment

HTML

Tanzanian Economic Development 2014-2024 (2)

WATER Water is life as they say and without it you cannot live. Surrounded as the area is by Lake Victoria, the largest lake in Africa and ...