Translate

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Potjie Koi

Saturday evening from 5pm was spent at a Potjoie Koi run by the Dutch Church at the primary school. This was the end to an all day fete. I arrived as a group of men was modelling female attire which had the crowd in stitches especially as the pastor came out in various forms of dress. A serious discussion later with this man who came to speak to myself and Zosia and Michael and asked the question “what do you say to people back home about South Africa?” An interesting discussion about past history and the current legacy of apartheid and the white emigration from SA. There has been a net decline of 1 million whites as many have left in the last five years.

Sunday morning was an 8am service at the Anglican church. Small congregation as many away for various reasons. Female assistant minister took the service including communion. No restrictions in SA on women priests. I enjoyed the service and the minister in particular. Morning tea afterwards found me taking to the Zulu kids who were friendly and chatty. A couple of the girls wanted to sing for me and I enjoyed listening to them. I asked if the could teach me the SA National Anthem and got plenty of laughs as I struggled with the pronunciation of the indigenous words in the first two lines. My ambition is to master the anthem in my time here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

HTML

Tanzanian Economic Development 2014-2024 (2)

WATER Water is life as they say and without it you cannot live. Surrounded as the area is by Lake Victoria, the largest lake in Africa and ...